Welcome Hand Scholarship - funded by the Souchay Gossen Family Foundation
The Souchay Gossen Family Foundation has instituted a scholarship specifically for a student who was not born in Canada and is a student in the Winnipeg School Division. We recognize that these individuals experience unique challenges not faced by students who have an extended support system available to them in Canada. There are two types of awards: a one-time award and a four-year scholarship.
Schools nominate one student who meets the criteria. Only one student from each school will be considered.
- Permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen not born in Canada
- Commitment to education as evidenced by consistent attendance and good achievement
- Engagement in an activity outside of the school day (may be extra-curricular, lessons, volunteering or other non-paid activity), while not essential, is an asset and could be taken into consideration.
- Financial need – the student’s post-secondary education will pose a hardship for the student or the student’s family.
Students must submit: (scroll down for forms)
- an application form,
- 2 recommendations; one from a teacher and one from another person connected to them through an activity (extra-curricular or other) or an organization outside the school,
- a transcript of their high school marks and
- a copy of their most recent report card with both first and second semester courses.
All information will be treated with strict confidentiality.
Deadline for 2021: May 21
The application will only be considered if the documentation is complete.
Please use the forms provided below.
Please follow the instructions on the first page of the form.